Using TRICARE for Drug and Alcohol Addiction Treatment
TRICARE coverage is available to active duty service members, Veterans, National Guard and Reserve members, and their families.1 TRICARE may be used to cover addiction treatment at Recovery First, a drug rehab near Miami that offers a specialized treatment program for Veterans. This page will cover what TRICARE is and how to use it for addiction treatment.
Recovery First is in-network with TRICARE East. To find out more about using TRICARE for rehab coverage, .
What Is TRICARE Health Insurance?
TRICARE is a global health insurance program for past and present military members and their families. It connects civilian health care services, like Recovery First Treatment Center, with the Military Health System to offer a comprehensive healthcare program.1
People who are eligible to enroll in TRICARE include but are not limited to:1
- Active duty service members and their families.
- National Guard/Reserve members and their families.
- Retired service members and their families.
- Retired Reserve members and their families.
- Beneficiaries and former spouses.
- Dependent parents and parents-in-law.
- Foreign force members and their families.
- Medal of Honor recipients and their families.
If you aren’t already enrolled, learn more about how to check your eligibility and enroll on the TRICARE website.
Will TRICARE Cover Drug & Alcohol Rehab?
Yes, most TRICARE plans provide some level of coverage for substance use disorder treatment. Coverage may vary depending on your specific plan and the treatment facility. To find out more about your coverage, you can contact TRICARE directly.2
Your TRICARE for rehab coverage may include the following types of drug and alcohol addiction treatment:
- Medical detox: Provides a supervised environment where patients can safely withdraw from alcohol and/or drugs. Medically supervised detoxification can help prevent potentially life-threatening complications that might occur during the withdrawal process.3
- Inpatient treatment: Also referred to as residential rehab, patients stay at the treatment facility 24/7 and participate in a structured program. Inpatient treatment is often the next step after detox.
- Outpatient treatment: Patients continue to live at home and attend treatment at a facility during the day throughout the week. Frequency of program attendance depends on each person’s individual needs.
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP): PHP is a type of outpatient treatment where patients remain at home while attending intensive therapy 5-7 days a week, depending on their needs.
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP): IOP is a less-intense type of outpatient program where patients continue to receive therapeutic services 3 days a week.
- Medications for addiction treatment: Medication can be a useful tool during the detox and treatment process. However, not everyone requires the use of medication.
- Addiction resources for families: A strong support system can play a crucial role in the recovery of your loved one. Addiction treatment that involves family members may include family therapy as well as other helpful resources.
At Recovery First, TRICARE East plans may cover detox and outpatient treatment.
What Are the Different Types of TRICARE Plans?
TRICARE offers several different plans to accommodate a wide variety of military needs. Below, you’ll find an overview of the various TRICARE plans available.
Be sure to speak with your doctor to learn more about what addiction treatment services are covered as well as what locations offer these covered services.
Active duty and retired service members, Reserve members, retired Reserve members, and their families are eligible for TRICARE Prime. However, retired service members and their families eligible for Medicare (based on age) are not eligible to enroll in TRICARE Prime.4
TRICARE Prime members have a primary care manager (PCM) who acts as the main point of contact. Active duty members will pay nothing out-of-pocket for the service and are required to enroll.4
Additional TRICARE Prime options for active duty service members and their families include:4
- TRICARE Prime Remote.
- TRICARE Prime Overseas.
- TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas.
Available in the United States, TRICARE Select is a self-managed preferred provider organization (PPO) plan. You cannot use TRICARE Select if you are active duty (including activated Reserve and Guard members).5
TRICARE Select is, however, a great option if:5
- You have other health insurance, such as a health plan sponsored by your employer.
- You’re seeing a provider outside the TRICARE network.
- You live in an area where you cannot utilize TRICARE Prime.
TRICARE For Life
TRICARE For Life is only available for people who have Medicare Part A and B, regardless of place of residence or age. For those who meet the requirements, enrollment is not required, coverage is automatic.6
TRICARE For Life coverage is available worldwide. You can visit any authorized provider and simply show your Medicare card and military ID; there isn’t an enrollment card for TRICARE For Life.6
TRICARE Reserve Select
TRICARE Reserve Select is a premium-based plan available worldwide for qualified Selected Reserve members and their families. You CANNOT enroll in this plan if you are:7
- On active duty orders.
- Eligible for the Federal Employees Health Benefits program.
- Covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program.
TRICARE Retired Reserve
Similar to TRICARE Reserve Select, TRICARE Retired Reserve is a premium-based plan for qualified Select Reserve members and their families worldwide. To qualify, you must be:8
- Under the age of 60.
- A member of the retired Reserve of a Reserve Component qualified for non-regular retirement.
- Not eligible for the Federal Employees Health Benefits program.
Family members of qualified Retired Reserve members, and survivors of Retired Reserve members are eligible to enroll in TRICARE Reserve Select.8
TRICARE Young Adult
TRICARE Young Adult is for adult children not otherwise eligible for TRICARE coverage. You may qualify if you are:9
- An adult child of an eligible sponsor.
- Between 21 and 26 years old.
- Not eligible for an employee-sponsored health plan if employed.
Do Addiction Treatments Centers Need to Be In-Network with TRICARE?
The first step in using TRICARE for rehab is to receive an official diagnosis from an in-network medical professional stating addiction treatment is psychologically or medically necessary.2 After an official diagnosis, you will need to choose a service provider or addiction treatment facility that has been approved by TRICARE.
Recovery First Treatment Center, in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area, is in-network with the TRICARE region designated TRICARE East. using our quick and secure insurance benefits verification tool.
You can also learn more about using TRICARE for rehab at Recovery First by speaking with an admissions navigator at . Admissions navigators are available 24/7 and can provide more information on TRICARE insurance coverage for rehab.
Depending on your TRICARE plan, you may be able to use a non-network TRICARE-authorized provider. However, this may result in higher costs and the need to file your own claims.1
Paying for Costs Not Covered by Insurance
Having health insurance can be a very useful tool in affording drug and alcohol addiction rehab, but it is not the only way to cover the cost of treatment. Recovery First Treatment Center in Florida also offers other payment methods such as financing options, flexible payment plans, and more.
Recovery is an investment in your future. Start your recovery journey today by reaching out to an admissions navigator for more information on the rehab admissions process.
Verify Your Benefits Now
Quickly and easily check your insurance coverage benefits for addiction treatment. Simply fill out the fields below. Your information is secure and kept confidential.
✔ Decide if treatment is right for you.
✔ See if your health insurance will pay for rehab and other available options for paying for addiction treatment.
✔ Discuss your treatment options.
✔ Check in at your treatment center.