What to Expect in Rehab
We understand that you might be a bit hesitant when heading to Recovery First for treatment for your substance abuse. By knowing what to expect beforehand, we hope we can ease your fears and make your experience a positive one.
If you’re flying to our facility, you’ll want to book a flight to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL). The airport is just 20 minutes away from our Hollywood facility. If you don’t have a ride, you can catch an Uber, Lyft, or taxi to our facility – just head to the ridesharing area once you pick up your bags.
Local residents who might be taking public transportation can take buses 9 or 12 to stop 291 or 145, right outside our building.
Your First 24 Hours
Your first 24 hours at our Hollywood facility will be busy as you go through intake and begin the treatment process. Here’s what you can expect:
- First, you’ll meet your admissions counselor, who will be there for you every step of the way as you adjust to life in recovery.
- You will then be given a number of assessments to judge your physical, mental, and emotional health. Not only do these assessments give us a better idea of your baseline condition, but they also help us devise a personalized treatment plan just for you.
- One of our doctors, led by renowned expert Dr. Seely, will also perform a comprehensive physical and look over your medical history.
- Next will be a urinalysis and drug screen to help us see what’s in your system so we know what to look for in the future.
- Once you’re cleared for treatment, we do have to perform a dignified belongings search to make sure you aren’t bringing in any contraband. This is for your safety and the safety of our other clients.
- Throughout the day, you’ll meet with all of the staff who will be involved in your care, including nurses, your case manager, therapists, and more.
- Finally, you’ll be ready to begin the program. Very often, this begins with medical detox. We know that the idea of detox can be frightening for many people. We make this time as comfortable as possible, with nursing staff available for you 24.7.
What to Bring
When you come to detox and/or residential treatment at Recovery First, Hollywood, we recommend bringing the following:
- Enough clothes to last you through the 5-10 day detox period. (Once you move to residential treatment, you’ll have access to laundry facilities.)
- Toiletries (must not contain alcohol).
- Reading material.
During residential treatment, you will prepare your own meals, so you’ll need to provide your own food.
You are allowed to bring cigarettes and vapes to both detox and residential treatment, as long as they are sealed in their original packaging.
*While Recovery First does allow you to bring your laptop and cell phone, we do place some reasonable restrictions on their use. We will store them for most of the day to eliminate unnecessary distractions and allow you to focus fully on your recovery. You will have access to use them during certain blocks of time where you are not engaged in programming.
What NOT to Bring
You won’t need to bring any food or snacks to detox. You’ll receive 3 catered meals a day as well as access to snacks. All linens, blankets, and pillows will be provided, so there’s no need to bring any of these items from home.
In residential therapy, you will cook your own meals but you won’t need to bring any pots, pans, or coffeemakers; these will all be supplied in your apartment.
Drugs, alcohol, or other controlled substances are not permitted on the grounds.
What Will a Typical Day Entail?
What your day will look like depends on whether you’re in our detox or residential treatment programs.
- 7 a.m. – Wake up, take medication, eat breakfast, and get yourself ready for the day.
- 9:30 to 10 a.m. – Morning reflections.
- 10 to 11 a.m. – Nutrition class or process group therapy.
- 11 a.m. to noon – Either process group therapy, dialectical behavior therapy session, relapse prevention class, or 12-step group meeting.
- Noon to 1:30 p.m. – Lunch
- 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. – Recreation group, pain management, or a self-soothing session.
- 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. – Yoga/mindfulness or nursing education group.
- 3:30 to 4 p.m. – Afternoon wrap-up session.
- 5 to 7 p.m. – Dinner.
- 7 to 8 p.m. – 12-step meeting.
- 8 to 9:30 p.m. – Free time.
- 10 p.m. – Medications as necessary.
- 11 p.m. – Lights out.
- 7 a.m. – Wake up, breakfast, and get yourself ready for the day.
- 7:30 a.m. – Take any prescribed medications.
- 8:30 to 9 a.m. – Morning reflections.
- 9 to 9:30 a.m. – Choice of yoga or meditation.
- 9:30 a.m. – 15-minute break.
- 9:45 to 10:30 a.m. – Embracing Change
- 10:30 a.m. – 15-minute break
- 10:45 to 11:45 a.m. – Either the Embracing Change curriculum or your caseload group.
- 11:45 a.m. – Medication distribution and lunch break.
- 1:15 to 2:30 p.m. – Wellness groups, doctor visits, or a recreational outing.
- 2:45 to 4:45 p.m. – Relapse prevention, music therapy, alumni groups, or other therapeutic assignments.
- 5 to 6:45 p.m. – Dinner/free time. Electronics may be used at this time.
- 7 to 8 p.m. – 12-step meeting or alumni speaker session.
- 9 p.m. – Wrap-up session.
- 9:30 to 11:30 p.m. – Medications, free time. Electronics may be used at this time.
- 11:30 p.m. – Head to your apartment for the night.
At Recovery First, we are proud to take a wellness-based approach toward your recovery. We rely on the Eight Dimensions of Wellness to guide our treatment:
We also employ use of the Four Agreements:
- Be impeccable with your word.
- Don’t take anything personally.
- Don’t make assumptions.
- Always do your best.
In particular, we utilize the Embracing Change: Recovery for Life curriculum, which combines research-based modalities with interactive therapy, journaling, self-reflection, and more to lead clients in the right direction. It’s a curriculum that’s exclusive to facilities in the American Addiction Centers network. Embracing Change: Recovery for Life allows us to tailor your recovery specifically to your needs.
✔ Decide if treatment is right for you.
✔ See if your insurance will pay for rehab!
✔ Discuss your treatment options
✔ Check in at your treatment center.